School Group Tours
School Campus Tours generally start at the Visitor Center unless otherwise specified by the group tour contact person or Office of Recruitment staff member. The program generally lasts 90 minutes and includes stops at the student recreation center, a sample residence hall room, a classroom, the library and student union. Shorter group tours may be arranged but with limited stops. We request that school group tours have at least one chaperon for every 20 students. Some activities require chaperon participation.
School Group Tours are only offered Monday through Friday at 10 a.m. (except holidays and university student breaks) during the fall and spring academic session. During the summer session, School Group Tours are only available at 11 a.m. Advanced online registration is required.
Directions to the Visitor Center
160 College Avenue
Orono, ME 04469
Traveling north on I-95: Take Kelley Road Exit 191; Turn right at end of exit ramp; Drive 1 mile to the light; Take left onto Route 2. Drive 2.5 miles to the third set of traffic lights; Turn left onto College Avenue; Turn right at the University of Maine sign; Take the next right for Visitors’ Center.
Traveling south on I-95: Take Stillwater Ave Exit 193; Turn left at the end of the exit ramp; Drive 1 mile to the fourth set of traffic lights; Turn right onto College Avenue; Turn left onto Munson Road at the second University of Maine sign; Take the next right for Visitors’ Center.
Buses or vans may drop off students at the Buchanan Alumni House or specified meeting location. A Visitor Center staff member will typically greet the school group in the buses before drop off. School bus or van may be used for a portion of the tour. Parking passes and specific parking information will be provided upon arrival.
- Encourage school group tour participants to wear comfortable shoes and appropriate weather gear. Please let us know when you register if any group members will need special accommodations as this is a brisk walking tour.
- Arrive 15 minutes before the start of your school group tour to allow time for parking and check-in.
- To set up lunch paid for by your school, please contact Sally Clark in Dining Services at 207.581.4580.
- If you wish to arrange a college or specific tours or information sessions, please refer to Academic Programs Sheets for contact information.
- If inclement weather is expected, please check UMaine’s Homepage for campus closure notification. You may also call 207.581.7669 for the most up to date campus updates.
- Click here for UMaine’s building directory, service locator or to print a map of the campus.
- For more information or further assistance, please email Mary Lambert, Graduate Assistant for Group Tours at email@example.com