UMaine Flagship Scholarship Program 2020-2021 for First-Year Students
As the Flagship University for the state of Maine, we support Maine students with the following scholarships.
Every first-year in-state student admitted to the University is guaranteed at least a $1000 scholarship1 in either a Black Bear Scholarship, one of the other awards listed below (if the student meets the specific award criteria), or athletic scholarships, provided the student meets the first-year admission application priority date of March 1. First-year students submitting applications after those dates will be reviewed for scholarships on a funds available basis. All scholarships in the UMaine Flagship Scholarships Program are renewable for a maximum of 8 semesters over a maximum of 5 years provided the renewal requirements for each award are met.
Scholarships are a financial commitment to you by the University of Maine, and may be evenly exchanged for other University or endowed scholarships.
- Semi-Finalist status with the National Merit Scholarship Corporation
- 100% of tuition and fees. This award covers tuition up to 15 credits per semester. The fees included in the award amount are: Activity, Communication, Unified and Recreation Center. The award amounts will not include the first year experience fee, course/program fees, or online fees.
A group of highly achieving first-year accepted students from Maine who completed their application by December 1 will receive a scholarship that covers 100% of tuition and fees2. Top Scholar awards are renewable for a maximum of 8 semesters over a maximum of 5 years with a maintained 3.3 GPA. All Top Scholar offers will be awarded and mailed no later than February 15.
Consideration for Top Scholar is based upon:
- Academic Rigor
- Program of Interest
- Demonstrated Leadership/Community Service
- Test Scores
Additional benefits for Maine Top Scholars:
- Admission to the Honors College
- Matched with a faculty mentor
- $500 per year to support scholarly/research development
2This award covers tuition up to 15 credits per semester. The fees included in the award amount are: Activity, Communication, Unified and Recreation Center. The award amounts will not include the first year experience fee, course/program fees, or online fees.
- Academically at the very top of class (rank, class size, GPA and test scores are considered) or Minimum 3.0 GPA on 4.0 scale (or equivalent) and SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing and Math of 1450+ (or ACT Composite of 32+)
- $8,000 annually
- Every in-state first-year admitted to the University is guaranteed at least a $1000 scholarship in either a Black Bear Award, one of the other awards listed below (if they meet the specific award criteria), or Athletic scholarships, provided they meet the admission application priority dates of March 1.
- $1,000 annually
First year applicants may provide updated transcripts and/or SAT/ACT scores to be considered for possible scholarship reconsideration until May 1. Incoming students who qualify for reconsideration need to contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
Enrollment Based Adjustments
1 UMaine’s financial aid awards are based on the assumption that a student will enroll in 15 credits per semester. Some types of aid may be reduced for students who enroll in fewer than 15 credits. These award adjustments are based on enrollment levels of 15+ credits (100%), 12-14 credits (85%), 9-11 credits (70%), and 6-8 credits (50%).
Please visit the Office of Student Financial Aid’s website for additional information regarding enrollment based adjustments.