UMaine Flagship Scholarship Program 2019-2020 for First-Year Students
As the Flagship University for the state of Maine, UMaine supports Maine students with the following scholarships.
Every first-year in-state student admitted to the University is guaranteed at least a $1000 scholarship1 in either a Black Bear Award, one of the other awards listed below (if the student meets the specific award criteria), or Athletic scholarships, provided the student meets the first-year admission application priority date of March 1. First-year students submitting applications after those dates will be reviewed for scholarships on a funds available basis. First-year students meeting the first-year FAFSA filing deadline of March 1 will be evaluated for an increased Black Bear Award based on financial need. All scholarships in the UMaine Flagship Scholarships Program are renewable for a maximum of 8 semesters over a maximum of 5 years provided the renewal requirements for each award are met.
- Academically at the very top of class (rank, class size, GPA and test scores are considered) or Minimum 3.0 GPA on 4.0 scale (or equivalent) and SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing and Math of 1450+ (or ACT Composite of 32+)
- $8,000 annually
- Every in-state first-year admitted to the University is guaranteed at least a $1000 scholarship in either a Black Bear Award, one of the other awards listed below (if they meet the specific award criteria), or Athletic scholarships, provided they meet the admission application priority dates of March 1.
- $1,000 annually
- Semi-Finalist status with the National Merit Scholarship Corporation
- 100% of tuition and fees. This award covers tuition up to 15 credits per semester. The fees included in the award amount are: Activity, Communication, Unified and Recreation Center. The award amounts will not include the first year experience fee, course/program fees, or online fees.
A group of highly achieving first-year accepted students from Maine who completed their application by December 1 will receive a scholarship that covers 100% of tuition and fees2. Top Scholar awards are renewable for a maximum of 8 semesters over a maximum of 5 years with a maintained 3.3 GPA. All Top Scholar offers will be awarded and mailed no later than February 15.
Consideration for Top Scholar is based upon:
- Academic Rigor
- Program of Interest
- Demonstrated Leadership/Community Service
- Test Scores
Additional benefits for Maine Top Scholars:
- Admission to the Honors College
- Matched with a faculty mentor
- $500 per year to support scholarly/research development
2This award covers tuition up to 15 credits per semester. The fees included in the award amount are: Activity, Communication, Unified and Recreation Center. The award amounts will not include the first year experience fee, course/program fees, or online fees.
UMaine will begin reviewing competing offers from other New England land grant institutions (UVM, UNH, UConn, UMass, URI) and will match the net cost of attendance*. Offer letters from these institutions only should be sent for consideration to Student Financial Aid, 5781 Wingate Hall, Orono, ME 04469, via email to email@example.com, or via faxed to 207.581.3261. For questions, please call Student Financial Aid at 207.581.1324.
*Net cost of attendance is the cost of tuition & fees plus room & board, less any scholarships or grants offered directly from the institution. This does not include any federal or state aid that is offered. Awards including athletic aid may be submitted, but will be subject to a separate review process as we cannot guarantee a match of athletic scholarships.
1 UMaine’s financial aid awards are based on the assumption that a student will enroll in 15 credits per semester. Aid will be reduced for students who enroll in fewer that 15 credits. Award adjustments are based on enrollment levels of 15+ credits (100%), 12-14 credits (85%), 9-11 credits (70%), and 6-8 credits (50%).