UMaine Adult Degree Completion Scholarship
The University of Maine System (UMS) has created an Adult Degree Completion Scholarship fund for Maine residents who are returning to school to complete their academic studies. These funds are dedicated to support adult students who are residents of Maine returning to college after an absence of at least three (3) years or more and who are completing their very first baccalaureate degree. Applicants may qualify for up to $4,000 per academic year for up to eight (8) consecutive semesters.
In order to apply, students can complete an online application. Below is a list of qualifying criteria to be eligible for consideration:
- Must be a resident of the state of Maine.
- Must be a matriculated student at a UMaine System institution seeking a first baccalaureate degree.
- Must be an undergraduate re-entry student who has experienced a gap of three (3) years or more in the pursuit of post-secondary education
- Must have a minimum of 30 credits earned from any institution toward a college degree
- Must demonstrate financial need as determined by a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Must be registered at least part time; 6-8 credits per semester, at a UMaine system institution
There are two scholarship application deadlines each academic year:
August 1 – to be considered for a full academic year beginning in the fall semester
December 1 – to be considered for a spring semester award
All renewal applications are due no later than June 1 of each year. Students will need their UMaine student information to complete the Adult Degree Completion Scholarship application form. To meet the scholarship application deadline, students should plan to submit a completed admission application by June 1 for fall semester and by December 1 for spring.
As a potential UMaine student interested in the Adult Degree Completion Scholarship, we suggest that you contact Lori Wingo, our Non-traditional Student advisor:
Lori works with our adult students to help them meet their educational goals. She can help with the application process for the Adult Degree Completion Scholarship as well as with the admission application process, choosing a major, finding financing, and registering for classes.