The University of Maine was the first in the country to offer a bachelor’s degree in sustainable agriculture. The B.S. degree in Sustainable Agriculture emphasizes
- Building healthy soil through crop rotations, organic soil amendments and erosion management
- Protecting water quality by reducing synthetic chemical use
- Managing pest and weed problems with integrated, ecologically sound approaches
- Increasing farm profits and income stability through diverse, community-based enterprises
- Using knowledge of scientific principles to propose and test farming practices that better mimic natural ecosystems.