Frequently Asked Questions


Detailed information regarding fees, meal plans and housing costs may be found at:

How do I apply for Financial Aid?
Students planning to attend the University of Maine will need to complete their FAFSA by June 1 for priority consideration.  Even if you are not positive that you will be attending UMaine you should add the UMaine code to the FAFSA so that our Financial Aid Office will have your information on time.

Are scholarships awarded to transfers?
Yes.  Incoming fall transfer students are automatically considered for scholarships at the time of admission to UMaine. Typically, merit scholarship awards are included with the letter of acceptance, although some scholarships are awarded after the admission process is complete. First priority is given to transfers who apply by June 1. Students submitting their application after June 1 will be considered while funds are available. Scholarships are renewable up to eight semesters.  For details please visit the scholarship page.

How to I apply for a transfer scholarship?
There is no scholarship application. Awards are made by reviewing application materials. Your college GPA and the number of completed courses are considered when awarding scholarships.

What is the UMaine code for the FAFSA?

Back to Top

Applying to transfer for Spring

Transfer Students interested in enrolling for the Spring Semester are encouraged to submit an application as soon as possible. Applications submitted after January 1 will be reviewed on a space available basis. Spring Semester classes usually begin in mid-January, for the exact date check the Academic Calendar listed on the Student Records Home page

Applying to transfer for Fall

Transfer students interested in enrolling for the Fall Semester may submit their application at any time after October 1 prior to the fall semester they intend to enroll in. Transfer students are encouraged to submit their applications by March 1 for priority evaluation. Applications received by June 1 will be considered for transfer scholarships. Applications received after July 1 will be considered on a space available basis. Fall Semester classes usually begin the last week in August or the first week in September, for the exact date, check the Academic Calendar listed on the Student Records Home page

Applications Forms:

Required Application Materials

  • a completed application or reactivation form
  • an official high school transcript or GED or HiSET documentation,students with over 60 transfer credits may request a waiver of this requirement.
  • official college transcripts for all colleges attended
  • Test scores and Recommendations are NOT required for transfer applicants

Back to Top

Transferring Credits

I want to take some courses before I transfer to UMaine. How do I know if the course credit will transfer to UMaine?
The University of Maine System has a public website with transfer equivalencies from more than 1,000 colleges. To access Transfer Course Equivalencies on MaineStreet, click here. No password or ID is needed.  Simply follow the instructions.

How do I know if a course will fulfill a UMaine General Education requirement?
The MaineStreet Transfer Course Equivalencies guide identifies the General Education requirement category in the far right column. The General Education requirement is described in the UMaine catalog.

Back to Top


How do I know how a course will apply to my intended major?
If the course in question has an exact match on the Transfer Course Equivalencies chart to a course required in your intended major then it fulfills that specific requirement.

Can I transfer into the Nursing Program?
Yes, based on both your academic credentials and space available in the program. Admission to the nursing program is competitive, based on both your credentials and space available in the program. Admission to the Nursing program is extremely competitive and limited because of restricted space. 

How do I contact an academic department?
Colleges and Academic Departments:

  • Maine Business School,  207.581.1997
  • College of Education and Human Development 207.581.2435
  • College of Engineering 207.581.2217
  • Honors College 207-581-3263
  • College of Liberal Arts and Sciences 207.581.1961
  • College of Natural Sciences, Forestry, and Agriculture 207.581.3206

Most individual majors have designated faculty as a point of contact. For information on individual majors, click here.

Where do I find the curriculum guide for the major I am interested in?
The Undergraduate Catalog has curriculum guides for each major. Please read all information carefully.

Back to Top

Advising and Course Registration

When do I register for classes?
For the fall semester: Current students and new transfer students register in March based on the number of credits they have completed.
For the spring semester: Current Students and new transfer students register in November based on the number of credits they have completed.
It is important to contact your academic department as soon as you have been accepted to find out how to begin the process.

What is academic advising like at UMaine?
Not every academic department approaches advising the same way. Most advising is done with an assigned faculty member.  The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and the College of Education and Human Development have advising centers.

Back to Top


Is Summer Orientation for me?
Summer Orientation is one of the choices for transfer students enrolled for the fall semester that will help you navigate and transition to UMaine.  Several dates in June are available.   It’s a great time to familiarize yourself with the campus, meet other new students, faculty and staff and take care of important details like text book sign up, student ID card and parking pass.

What if I miss Summer Orientation?
Welcome Weekend (the weekend before classes begin) is also a time for you to learn what you need to know for a smooth start to the semester.  Transfers living on campus participate in Move-In Day.  There are activities planned to get you connected and opportunities to take care of details  – like your student id card and parking pass.  If you plan to live off campus you can still join in our Welcome Weekend activities.

Is there an Orientation for transfers beginning their enrollment in the Spring semester?
Spring Orientation is a one-day event held in January for new students (transfer and first-year) starting in the spring semester. Invitations are typically sent out in early December. Our Orientation website has more information!

Back to Top

Open Houses

Is there an Open House for transfers?
UMaine has Open Houses in the spring and fall which are designed for both first time and transfer students that are considering enrolling at UMaine. Special transfer sessions are offered but many items on the agenda provide great general information pertinent to any student looking into attending UMaine.
Back to Top


What is Reverse Transfer?
This is a process that UMaine students can initiate to use their UMaine courses to fulfill requirements needed to complete a Maine community college degree.
You should talk with your community college registrar or advisor and the UMaine Office of Student Records (ask for Kathy Ouelette) for process details.