UMaine Flagship Match Scholarship Program 2020-2021 for First-Year Students
Semi-finalist status with the National Merit Scholarship Corporation
High School GPA: 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or equivalent
Test scores: SAT Evidence-based Reading and Writing and Math of 1120+ or ACT Composite 22+
Flagship Match Award Amounts*
New Hampshire (UNH): $12,869
Massachusetts (UMass): $15,359
Connecticut (UConn): $14,522
Vermont (UVM): $12,946
New Jersey (Rutgers): $15,341
Pennsylvania (Penn State): $13,298
Illinois (Illinois): $14,781
Rhode Island (URI): $17,182
Virginia (UVA): $15,894
California (Berkeley): $17,564
Minnesota (Twin Cities): $16,512
Michigan (Ann Arbor): $16,190
All Other States : $13,200
High School GPA: Less than 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or equivalent
Test scores: SAT Evidence-based Reading and Writing and Math of less than 1120 or ACT Composite of less than 22
* Flagship Award amounts will initially be based on estimated tuition & fee rates. Each year when tuition & fee rates are finalized for UMaine and the other flagship institutions, award amounts will be adjusted to actual.
2020-2021 Scholarship Terms and Conditions
General Scholarship Information
- Awards are renewable for up to a total of 8 semesters, provided that the student meets renewal criteria.
- Awards are disbursed in two equal installments, one at the beginning of the fall semester and one at the beginning of the spring semester, as credit toward the student’s tuition account.
- The award must be used within a period not to exceed five years.
- Student must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (see Office of Student Financial Aid for more information).
- Student must maintain at least part-time enrollment (no less than 6 graded credit hours per semester) at their current tuition status leading to an undergraduate degree at UMaine.
- Student must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 for the Flagship Match Scholarship or a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for the Leadership Scholarship as measured each academic year at the end of the spring semester.
Enrollment Based Adjustments
UMaine’s financial aid awards are based on the assumption that a student will enroll in 15 credits per semester. Aid will be reduced for students who enroll in fewer that 15 credits. Award adjustments are based on enrollment levels of 15+ credits (100%), 12-14 credits (85%), 9-11 credits (70%), and 6-8 credits (50%).
Please visit the Office of Student Financial Aid’s website for additional information regarding enrollment based adjustments.
Scholarship Reconsideration Information
First year applicants may provide updated transcripts and/or SAT/ACT scores to be considered for possible scholarship reconsideration until May 1. Incoming students who believe they qualify for reconsideration should contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
The Flagship Match Scholarship allows eligible students from specified states to attend UMaine at the same cost as their home state’s flagship institution. Qualifying students will receive a substantial scholarship that is applied to UMaine’s out-of-state tuition and fees. The amount of the scholarship will vary depending on the tuition and fee rates in the student’s home state.
Filing a FAFSA is not required to receive the Flagship Match, but students are encouraged to file a FAFSA by March 1 in order to be considered for the maximum amount of financial aid funds.
Students who qualify for the New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE) regional student program are not eligible for a Flagship Match Award. Please see our NEBHE Award information for First-Year Students.
Please note: Any change to a student’s tuition status will result in adjustment of financial aid, including scholarships. This includes any waiver program or reciprocity agreement that results in non-resident students being charged the online or resident tuition rate.