School Group Tours
School Campus Tours generally start at the Heritage House unless otherwise specified by the group tour contact person. The program generally lasts 90 minutes and includes stops at the student recreation center, a sample residence hall room, a classroom, the library and student union. Shorter group tours may be arranged but with limited stops. We request that school group tours have at least one chaperone for every 20 students. Some activities require chaperon participation.
School Group Tours are only offered Monday through Friday between 10 am – 2 pm (except holidays and university student breaks) during the fall and spring academic session. Advanced online registration is required. To help us accommodate your request please register a month or more in advance.
Directions to the Heritage House
The Heritage House
101 College Avenue
Orono, ME 04473
From Bangor International Airport: Orono is approximately twenty (20) minutes north. Once leaving the airport, turn right onto Union Street. Travel approximately 1.8 miles to I-95. Take I-95 North.
From I-95 North: take exit 193 to Stillwater Avenue and turn left. Drive straight for one mile and turn right onto College Avenue. Drive about 1.5 miles. The Heritage House will be on your right.
From I-95 South: take exit 191 to Kelly Road and turn right. Continue on Kelly Road for 1 mile until you reach the traffic light, then turn left onto Route 2 and go through downtown Orono. Cross the river and at the next set of traffic lights, turn left onto College Avenue. Drive about .5 miles on College Avenue. The Heritage House will be on your left-hand side.
Buses or vans may drop off students the Collins Center for the Arts or specified meeting location. Our staff member will typically greet the school group in the buses before drop off. School bus or van may be used for a portion of the tour. Parking passes and specific parking information will be provided upon arrival.
- Encourage school group tour participants to wear comfortable shoes and appropriate weather gear. Please let us know when you register if any group members will need special accommodations as this is a brisk walking tour.
- Arrive 15 minutes before the start of your school group tour to allow time for parking and check-in.
- If you are interested purchasing lunch on campus for your group, please contact Sally Clark at 207-581-4506 to make arrangements to purchase lunch tickets. If your school is tax exempt you will need to provide that information when you call.
- If you wish to arrange a college or specific tours or information sessions, please refer to Enhanced Tours webpage for contact information.
- If inclement weather is expected, please check UMaine’s Homepage for campus closure notification. You may also call 207.581.7669 for the most up to date campus updates.
- Click here for UMaine’s building directory, service locator or to print a map of the campus.
- For more information or further assistance, please email email@example.com.