Weren’t able to attend Orientation? No problem! Follow this checklist to get yourself ready for the Fall.
Want a printable version? Click here.
Obtain your MaineCard ID
Submit a photo for your MaineCard ID through the link sent to your @maine.edu email. Your MaineCard will be ready by move-in at your resident hall. If you aren’t able to do this in time for move-in, on move-in day you can go to MaineCard Services, wait in line, have their photo taken, and receive the card there. MaineCard Services: Hilltop, Room 103L
Purchase your Parking Permit
Students who bring a vehicle to campus and live in a residence hall will park in red marked lots. Commuter students park in black marked lots. Parking permits can be purchased online.
Download the Navigate app
Navigate is a free mobile app that will help you thrive at the University of Maine. Through Navigate you can view your class schedule, make appointments with your adviser, see reminders, resources, and more.
Take your Math Placement Exam
Like most universities, the University of Maine requires students to take a math placement exam to determine which math courses line up best with your math skills. If you have scored a 670 on the math portion of the SAT, or a 29 on the math portion of the ACT, then you can be enrolled in any math class up to MAT 126 (Calculus I); effective Spring 2021, all other students must take the ALEKS PPL Assessment mathematics placement exam. Students who score 3 or more on AP calculus will receive credit for MAT 126, and therefore do not need to take the exam. For more information, visit the Math Placement website.
Money Matters is a guide for students and families that includes: information on the UMaine student bill, costs at UMaine, types of financial aid available and additional funding resources.
Check out our full Money Matters pamphlet here!
Considering signing your Student Consent Form
In compliance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, the University of Maine will not release grades, schedules, or financial aid information to parents, spouses, or others, unless the student gives written permission. A signed Student Consent to Release Information Form is required in order for a university office to speak to anyone other than you about your personal information. This form can be found online.
Complete your Financial Terms and Conditions
Every UMaine student is required to complete the Financial Terms and Conditions as a condition of enrollment. This statement is designed to ensure your awareness and understanding of billing policies and your financial obligations as a UMS student. Navigate to the To-Do List on your MaineStreet Student Center and click on Financial Terms and Conditions to view and complete the statement. The registration hold will be removed immediately upon completion.
Make sure you’re checking all of your UMaine accounts
It is important for new students to activate and start using their online accounts, including MaineStreet (student portal) and their maine.edu email account. All official communications such as class registration, student financial aid, and student billing will be sent this way. You can find steps on how to activate your accounts on the Portal website.
Submit your Immunization Records
Students should mail or fax copies of their immunization documents to:
Shared Processing Center
PO Box 412
Bangor ME 04402-0412
Direct any immunization questions to the Office of Student Records at 207.581.1288 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit your COVID-19 Vaccination Record
Verify your COVID-19 vaccination record on UMaine’s PointnClick online system.
Download the Black Bear Safe App
Black Bear Safe is for students and campus community members. With this resource, you will be able to quickly and easily access on-campus safety resources.
Sign up for emergency texts
Want to know if there is a snow day or campus emergency? Make sure you sign up for UMaine’s emergency warning system. Friends and family also can sign up if they want to know what is happening on campus.
Get your books and supplies
Visit University Bookstore online or in person and buy your books. While you’re there, pick up notebooks, binders, pens and any other supplies you’ll need. Check your course syllabi or textbook info link on your MaineStreet course schedule to get started.
Finalize your class schedule
You can view your class schedule on Navigate or in your MaineStreet Student Center. At this point, feel free to contact your college or academic department if you have further questions or need to make changes on your class schedule.
Submit your Final High School or College Transcript
Request your final High School or final College Transcript be sent to UMaine by your school. Students should request their transcript to be sent as soon as possible so we can evaluate any new transfer credit.
Move-in for new students starting in the Fall 2022 semester is August 26, 2022. If you have any questions about moving in, contact Housing at email@example.com or 207.581.4580. Once here, there’s so much you can do.
Things to consider
- Additional Assistance: Stop by the Orientation Help Desk or your residence hall front desk. If you need assistance, the New Student Orientation team will be at the Memorial Union to provide information from 8 am – 4 pm on August 26 and 10 am – 2 pm August 27 and 28. You may also seek assistance at your residence hall front desk from 8 am to 11 pm August 26 – 28.
- Housing and Dining: Apply for a housing and dining plan on their website by using your MaineStreet ID and password. For questions, please call Housing Services at 207.581.4580 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding meal plans, call their office at 207.581.3463 or email email@example.com.
- Student Accessibility Services: Visit the Student Accessibility Services website for more information on requesting any special academic accommodations in the classroom, or visit them at 121 East Annex!
- Academic Support Services: Be sure to visit the Academic Support Services website to check out the various academic support services to help make your UMaine experience a success!
- Transfer Credit: Transfer credits are awarded and posted on MaineStreet after admission. For questions, please email the Office of Student Records at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bursar’s Office: Call 207.581.1521 for any questions or concerns regarding billing
- University Bookstore: The Bookstore is your source for textbooks, course materials, computer hardware and software, residence hall items, UMaine apparel, and other supplies. The Bookstore is located on the ground floor of the Memorial Union. For more information, please call the Bookstore at 207.581.1700.
- Cutler Health Center: Students and parents can rest easy knowing that professional healthcare is available on campus at Cutler Health Center. Clinical services are provided through a subsidiary of Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center. For more information about Cutler Health Center and medical insurance procedures, please call the center at 207.581.4000.
- Packing and Postal Services: Check out The Postal and Package Center which offers professional printing and mailing services including letters, packages, copies for classes, and presentation materials right on campus on the ground floor of the Memorial Union. Please call 207.581.3727 with further questions.
- Student Life: Visit the Division of Student Life website for the various programs and services available to students or contact 207.581.1406 for additional information.