Transfer to UMaine
There are so many reasons to transfer to the University of Maine — it’s a great value and the quality of education here is unparalleled. Plus, we make it easy. Our admissions counselors work with you to make sure the transition is seamless, and we offer a number of scholarships for outstanding students.
- a completed application
- an official high school transcript or General Education Development (GED) test score.
- These requirements may be waived if a student with 60 or more transferable credits makes a written request for these records to be excluded from their application.
- SAT or ACT scores
- Not required if the student is 20 years old or older.
- Not required if the student has graduated from high school and has 12 or more college-level credits.
- official college transcripts for all attempted college coursework
- Transcripts are required whether credit was earned or not
- a personal essay
- an application fee of $40*
- Please note: the application fee is waived for all current and former members of the US Armed Forces who were honorably discharged. Applicants who meet this criteria should not pay the application fee and should note their request for an application fee waiver in the area following the veteran check box in the UMS application or by checking the “qualify for application fee waiver” if applying with the Common Application.
*At the present time, in order to encourage transfer students to apply without delay, UMaine is waiving the application fee. If you choose to use the UMS application, simply do not submit a fee. If you use the Common Application, indicate that you qualify for an application fee waiver. Please note: This currently does not apply to international students.
Advantage U applicants, please meet with your community college transfer advisor or refer to Advantage U for specific application requirements.
Costs, Financial Aid and Scholarships
Transfer Credit Evaluations
The Office of Student Records prepares Transfer Credit Evaluations after you have been offered admission to Umaine.
Pre-Admission credit assessment (unofficial) is handled as time permits by the Office of Student Records, please send an email to email@example.com.
If you are transferring from a UMaine System Campus, from a Maine community college or one of the many other institutions in the United States – there are more than 1,000 listed – please go to UMaine course equivalencies. If the course meets a UMaine General Education Requirement, it will be indicated in the far right column of the MaineStreet equivalency chart. If you do not see the course or institution that you are looking for, please contact the Office of Student Records at 207-581-1319.
Once you have been admitted, you may view your credit evaluation online at the Maine Street Portal in the Self Service/View Transfer Credit Report section.
Military Credit: Credit for military experience or corporate training programs normally will be allowed according to the recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE) and the National Program on Noncollegiate Sponsored Instruction (PONSI). Credit allowed in this way normally counts for elective credit only. Courses considered to be at the upper baccalaureate level will be the only courses considered for transfer credit. All millitary students will receive two 100-level KPE credits for basics/recruit training. Please submit DANTES and Records for credit evaluation.