Students in a multitude of majors learn from Maine’s natural habitat. At right, Forestry majors study conservation and resource management on UMaine’s 15,000 acres statewide.
Only at UMaine! You can study:
- Animal and Veterinary Sciences, and work with horses, dairy cows & Icelandic sheep at our J. F. Witter Teaching and Research Center
- Marine Sciences, and study at the Darling Marine Center, UMaine’s coastal lab
- Wildlife Ecology, and investigate in the natural labs of our University Forest, Acadia National Park & Sunkhaze Meadows National Wildlife Refuge
“If I can use my knowledge in science to preserve humanity’s relationship with the ocean, I will consider my career a success.”
Marine Sciences Major
Nursing majors develop skills in UMaine’s state-of-the-art Nursing lab and advance to clinical experiences in community health care settings.
The spirit of service
UMaine has a long tradition of community service! Highlights include:
- Annual events: Maine Day & Fall Welcome Weekend Day of Service
- Alternative Break service trips
- Opportunities at the Bodwell Center for Service & Volunteerism
- Total annual service hours by UMaine students: 30,000
“Nursing is a career that will let me make a positive difference in people’s lives.”
Leave Your Mark
New media majors work in amazing facilities with 3-D printers, animation software, AV recording & editing labs, laser cutters, engravers and more — everything needed for digital & analog production.
Arts, entertainment & culture – in your own backyard
- The Collins Center for the Arts: Broadway tours, musicians,
comedians & more
- Hudson Museum: Cultural collections from around the world
- UMaine Museum of Art: Works by Andy Warhol, Pablo Picasso,
Käthe Kollwitz, Diego Rivera & more
- Student music, dance & theatre performances
“I chose a life in music because of the happiness it brings to me, which I can then bring to others.”
Opportunity Meets Innovation
Students in the Maine Business School students manage a $3 million investment fund portfolio in the Capital Markets Training Lab. UMaine students outperformed major financial institutions during the recent recession!
“My experience in the Maine Business School has taken my inclination to study business, added ambition to it, and equipped it with the tools for success.”
Business Management Major
Only at UMaine! Supporting students entrepreneurs
Students like Nadir Yildirim and Alex Chasse bring their entrepreneurial ideas to the Foster Center for Student Innovation, where they are tested, improved and brought to the marketplace. Nadir and Alex founded Revolution Resources, Inc., a company that is developing eco-friendly foam boards for use in the construction industry. The pair received a $225,000 grant from the National Science Foundation. Nadir also won the 2015 UMaine Business Challenge, the state’s largest student entrepreneurship competition.
“Seeing their support made us believe more in what we are doing. Increasing our professional network and having insight from their experience was a huge opportunity for us.”
Revolution Resources, Inc.
Study abroad and still graduate in 4 years — we’ll work with you. Plus, you can apply your financial aid toward your Study Abroad experience. Beat that!
A world of options
- 700+ study abroad programs to choose from
- Opportunities on 6 continents
- Your time abroad can be
– Direct enrollment into a university
– A faculty-led course
– An internship
– A teaching or clinical placement
“My study abroad experience in France really changed me. I was very shy before I went, but living in a foreign country made me comfortable with being uncomfortable. Now, I’m much better at speaking up and going after what I want in life.”
The University of Maine is internationally recognized as a “top research institution.” What does that mean to students? Opportunity! Undergrads participate in frontline research as early as their first year.
Get there first:
Students work with faculty in the Advanced Structures and Composites Center conducting research for state, national and international clients — including the defense and aerospace industries.
“The research opportunities at UMaine helped me transition from being a student to being a scientist. I’m starting optometry school right after
graduation, and am looking forward to the research component.”
Only at UMaine! Advancing Humanity Through Research
- UMaine students have worked to turn wood into jet flu
- WiSe-Net Lab: Wireless sensors developed at UMaine for NASA are being tested on the International Space Station
- Virtual Environment and Multimodal Interaction (VEMI) Lab: Studying the human interactions for optimizing the accuracy, efficiency, and safety of autonomous vehicles
- Fluorescence PhotoActivation Localization Microscopy (FPALM): Technology that exceeds the theoretical limits of light microscopes to study live viruses and more
- The Alfond W2 Ocean Engineering Lab: high-performance rotatable wind machine over a multidirectional wave basin to build and test scale models
- Bioinformatics researchers created an online database to compare regenerative tissue capabilities among animals
- Green Supercomputing: Run a supercomputer modeling the melting of glacial ice, powered by the energy generated by 10 cyclists
A Campus Community like no Other
Step on campus and you’ll feel it — a sense of being connected — to each other, the community, the future we all strive for. That’s UMaine. You have to feel it to believe it.
“I am from Massachusetts and my mom dragged me to an Open House, but I fell in love. The sense of Black Bear pride was contagious and I felt a strong pull that this was the school for me.”
20 on-campus residence halls
- First-year, Honors College, and Transfer Student housing
- Living Learning Communities; themed housing communities
“No matter who you are or what you’re interested in, there’s a community of friends for you at UMaine.”
Balance your Life:
Work + fun = healthy you
Get active with indoor/outdoor, 4-season fun
- UMaine’s campus has 15 miles of trails for year-round play: running, biking, cross-country skiing & snowshoeing
- Maine Bound Adventure Center: climbing wall, ropes course, bikes, equipment rental & more
- New Balance Student Recreation Center: Green rec center with a pool, sauna, indoor track, huge fitness center & multiple courts for basketball, volleyball, racquetball
Only at UMaine!
The New Balance Student Recreation Center was cited as #7 in the nation for “Most amazing campus student recreation centers!”
200+ Clubs & Organizations
The usual (a few of the many)
American marketing association, Amnesty international, Animation club, Art & design collective, Asian student association, Capoeira club, Cheerleading, Forensic team, Green team, International student association, Veterans club
Animal conservation, Black bear robotics, Dressage, Equestrian club, Ewe Maine, Flight club, Maine masque, Maine steiners, Mainely voices, Sustainable agriculture, Trap & skeet club, Woodsmen’s team
- Turn your passion into an active community
- stat a club (we’ll help!)
Join the nation – Black Bear Nation
Maine’s division I athletic program
Only at UMaine!
- 2x National Champions: NCAA Men’s Hockey, 1993 & 1999
- The Wall Street Journal cited UMaine’s Alfond Arena as one of
the nation’s top 10 college hockey arenas, saying Alfond had
the “best atmosphere.”
“The energy during a hockey game is addicting, like breathing pure adrenaline. We aren’t the most intimidating team to play against for nothing!”
Music Education Major
- Conference titles in 1990, 1991, 1993, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2011
- Conference title in 2004
- Conference titles in 1949, 1951, 1952, 1961, 1965, 1974, 1982, 1987, 1989, 2001, 2002, 2013
- National champions in 1993 & 1999
- Conference titles in 1989, 1992, 1993, 2000, 2004
Swimming & diving
Track & field (indoor/outdoor)
- Conference title in 1995
- Conference titles in 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2018
- Conference titles in 1994, 2004, 2006, 2016
Swimming & diving
Track & field (indoor/outdoor)
Wanna play? Go ahead:
- Alpine Skiing
- Badminton/Table Tennis
- Blade Society
- Equestrian Team
- Fast-Pitch Softball
- Field Hockey
- Figure Skating
- Ice Hockey
- Power Lifters
- Sailing Team
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Water Polo
Great academics are the heart of UMaine. It’s what we do best. To us, it means:
- Outstanding teaching: UMaine professors are renowned researchers, scholars & experts in their fields. Why not learn from the BEST?
- State-of-the-art facilities: Amazing labs, technology & resources
- Frontline research: UMaine’s 16 research centers and institutes serve the local, national & global communities
- Practical applications: Hands-on experience through internships, clinical experiences, fieldwork and more — home and abroad
There’s no doubt about it, UMaine is one of the nation’s leading universities — yet, we retain a “small-campus feel.” How?
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 16:1
- Average class size: 25
- Professors who are invested in your success
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Engineering
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- College of Natural Sciences, Forestry, and Agriculture
- Honors College
- Maine Business School
“What I really appreciate about UMaine are the supportive faculty and the freedom to carve my own path. I’ve always been able to combine my two passions: science and art.”
Studio Art Minor
4+1 Dual Degree Programs
Stay ahead of the competition with 2 degrees in 5 years.
- 100+ options to choose from
- Students in any major from all 6 colleges qualify for a Double Up program
- Thesis and non-thesis options
Not sure about a major? No problem
We’ll help you find it! UMaine offers 2 options:
- Explorations, a 1-year program, will let you explore your options.
- Start as an undecided major in the following colleges and work with an adviser:
- Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Education and Human Development
- Natural Sciences, Forestry, and Agriculture
A few of the many UMaine alumni who defined their lives & careers
Former governor of Maine
Academy award-winning producer of “Pulp Fiction,” “Good Will Hunting,” & “An Inconvenient Truth”
Pulitzer prize-winning journalist
Former commander U.S. naval forces, Europe and allied forces, southern Europe
Paul R. Lepage
Former Governor of Maine
Developer of the DC defibrillator and Nobel peace prize winner
Former NFL player
Chief justice, Maine supreme court
Former United States senator
NHL head coach, former USA world cup hockey coach
RN, professional basketball player, miss Maine 2009, finalist on “Survivor”
Former U.S. ambassador to the Gambia & Haiti
The numbers speak for themselves
- 97% of recent UMaine graduates found jobs or went to graduate school
- Of the 79% with full time employment, 88% are working in a field related to their degree
- 93% of those employed stated that UMaine prepared them well for their career
Maine Matters scholarship: 2 levels of support for Maine residents
Every in-state student admitted to UMaine is guaranteed $1000 in financial aid.
Students are automatically considered for merit scholarships at the time of acceptance.
Awards range from $1,000 to full tuition and fees.
Maine flagship match scholarship for out-of-state students
UMaine will match the cost of net attendance to your state’s flagship institution, provided you are an academically qualified first-year student. This offer applies to residents of CT, MA, NH, VT, RI, NJ, PA, IL and CA. Residents from other states are eligible for reduced tuition and fees, too. See detailed information about Flagship Match scholarships.
- Transfer scholarships: a fresh start + financial support
- In-state transfer students are eligible to receive $1,500 (renewable up to 2 years).
- Out-of-state transfer students are eligible to receive $6,000
(renewable up to 2 years).
“I transferred to UMaine during my second year. The social work professors were great — they made it easy and I fell right into place. It took me a while to find the perfect school, but once I found UMaine, I knew I was set.”
Worried about debt? Don’t be — do this instead:
Think 30: Earn 30 credit hours each year and graduate in 4 years. The math is simple, the savings are substantial — and we’ll help you do it. For more, visit the Think 30 website.
3 Easy Options to Apply
- The Common Application
- UMaine online application
- UMaine mobile-friendly application
- University of Maine System Application
Stay on track: Important Dates & Deadlines
- December 1: Early Action deadline, priority for merit scholarships and Honors College invitations
- February 1: Suggested application date for regular admissions, rolling admissions and international students applying for international scholarships
- March 1: FAFSA priority filing date
- May 1: Accepted student reply date, housing priority deadline
See It. Feel It. Visit.
- Campus Tour; guided walking tour
- Open House/Accepted Student Days
- Explore campus and departments, and meet faculty from all of our different programs
- To schedule your own tour & interview: 207.581.1561; firstname.lastname@example.org
Life in Orono: Natural Beauty Combined with Safety
UMaine is located on Marsh Island between the Stillwater and Penobscot rivers in Orono, Maine. Maine’s natural beauty is evident on campus and in the surrounding area. Nearby popular destinations include Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, Baxter State Park and Mount Katahdin.
Orono, with its shops and restaurants, is a classic “college town: and was recently cited in the 2017 list of “30 Safest College Towns in America” by SafeWise. The city of Bangor, only 15 minutes away, is known for its historic downtown, thriving arts community, outdoor recreation and shopping.
“I like going into Bangor for food. I love food and, honestly, Bangor has excellent restaurants!”
Marine Sciences Major