Visual and Performing Arts Scholarships
UMaine offers scholarship opportunities to applicants with demonstrated talent in the visual and performing arts, including art, music, theatre, and dance. The Visual and Performing Arts scholarships are Admissions Early Action Incentive Awards available to new incoming undergraduate students to UMaine. These scholarships are awarded based on the following eligibility criteria. Please view the information for instructions on how to apply.
Please note: In order to be considered for the Visual and Performing Arts Award, please submit your complete admissions application by the Early Action Advantage date of December 1, 2023.
- Scholarship recipients must enroll in one of UMaine’s art majors
(Studio Art, Art Education, History of Art) as their major or one of their double majors.
- Requires submission of a digital portfolio of 10 – 15 JPEG images of the student’s work for portfolio review.
- Requires a statement discussing the student’s work and interest in the Visual Arts.
- Art Education or Art History may submit relevant projects and research papers in lieu of visual images.
How to Apply
Students should submit both statement and portfolio via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students must audition in person or via digital recording for a Dance Performance Scholarship.
- Students must pursue a Dance minor.
- Students must be nominated for this scholarship to the Music Department by a music teacher or music director or be observed in performance by a Music Department faculty member.
- Scholarship students must participate each semester in an ensemble that is approved by the Chair of the Division of Music.
- Please note: auditions, while not required for the Music Performance Scholarship, are required for students wishing to enroll in music major.
How to Apply
Students must verify that they are interested in the VAPA Music Performance scholarship with the Music Division (phone: 207-581-4703) or email email@example.com so they can be added to the VAPA database.
If you wish to complete your admission as a music major (Music, Music Education, Music Performance), auditions are arranged through the Music Division, to schedule a music audition, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 207.581.4703.
- Students must be nominated to the Theatre department by a drama instructor or audition in person or via digital recording. Contact: 207.581.4703.
- Scholarship students must enroll as a theatre major as their major or one of their double majors.
- Scholarship performers must audition for all theater productions produced by the department.
- Scholarship technicians must take on one tech role in a production each academic year.
How to Apply
Students wishing to be considered for the scholarship should email email@example.com.
2024-2025 Scholarship Terms and Conditions
General Scholarship Information
- Awards are renewable for up to 4 years or 120 credits, provided that the student meets specific renewal criteria..
- Awards are disbursed in two equal installments, one at the beginning of the fall semester and one at the beginning of the spring semester, as credit toward the student’s tuition account.
- UMaine’s initial financial aid offers are based on the assumption that a student will enroll in 15 credits per semester. Some types of aid, including merit scholarships and institutional grants, are adjusted for students who enroll in less than 15 credits.
Scholarship Renewal Information
- Student must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (see Office of Student Financial Aid for more information).
- Student must maintain at least part-time enrollment (no less than 6 graded credit hours per semester) at their current tuition status leading to an undergraduate degree at UMaine.
- Student must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 as measured each academic year at the end of the spring semester.
In addition each scholarship has the following individual renewal criteria:
- Student must remain in good standing in one of UMaine’s art Majors (Studio Art, Art Education or History of Art).
- Student must pursue a Dance minor.
- Student must participate in at least one main stage dance concert each semester.
- Student must participate in at least one dance ensemble.
- Student must participate in at least one music ensemble/performance group each semester.
- Student must pursue Theatre as their major or double major.
- If student is a scholarship performer, student must audition for all theater productions produced by the department.
- If student is a scholarship technician, student must take one tech role in a production each academic year.